An average shift rota planner spends 10 to 15 hours per week planning shifts with redundant tools. By using a shift rota planner, this can be reduced by 80%.
The rota planner or HR manager may be responsible. However, the employees and team bear the brunt of these mistakes. Here are some of the most common shift mistakes and possible solutions.
Common Shift Rota Planner Mistakes Made by the Planners
There is no doubt that such mistakes are not intentional. This article is intended to raise awareness for both shift rota planner software and employees.
Shift Schedules Are Not Adequately Communicated in Advance
In my opinion, a shift schedule published just three or five days in advance is too short a notice for employees. It is recommended that shifts be published at least two weeks in advance so that employees can arrange for family care and routines.
Shifts That Are Longer and Continuous
Unfortunately, some employees receive lengthy shifts, while others, who are even less fortunate, work continuous shifts. This disturbs their sleep cycle, which can have a damaging effect on their well-being. Such individuals may struggle to sleep for long periods due to the disruption this has caused, leading to depression. In fact, over 30% of graveyard shift workers and rotating-shift workers suffer from insomnia over an extended period of time. Consequently, it is not uncommon for shift-work sleep disorder (SWSD) to become a factor in our lives.
This is an avoidable mistake. Most businesses know about their peak hours. It requires additional manpower. It rarely is planned well. The impact on burnt-out employees is compounded. In addition to impacting employee satisfaction, it also affects customer satisfaction Employees need additional staff availability during such peak hours. We’ve provided a detailed guide to staffing employees and planning retail staffing rotas and restaurant staffing rotas during the holidays.
Shift Rota Planner Mistakes That Can Be Avoided?
The list of avoidable shift mistakes is as follows: Shift rota planner software and HR leaders recommend two things to avoid shift mistakes. The first is awareness. The second is knowledge of resources.
- Scheduling shifts without matching skill requirements
- Check and confirm shift slots manually with employees. It creates ambiguity.
- Lack of back-up rota workers
- Scheduling shifts in an inflexible manner
- Employees should be assigned continuous shifts without breaks.
- Night shifts and rotating shifts are not distributed fairly.
As a matter of fact, an estimated £ 37 billion is lost as a result of SWSD. With shift rota planner software, these problems can be solved.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Shift Mistakes Like These?
The best way to combat these problems is to provide employees with an open environment. Requesting feedback from employees is crucial. In fact, numerous shift planners have asserted that this feedback has presented them with compelling reasons and evidence to modify their shift planning.
The Best Practices When Creating a Shift Schedule Are:
- Ensure that employees have consistent and predictable shifts.
- Have rules for advanced notification of shift changes.
- To be flexible in the face of adversity, always have backup staff available.
- There is no favoritism. None at all.
- To ensure equal shift distribution, publish a fair rota policy.
- Create the right balance by getting the right mix of people.
- To measure shift efficiency and decide future shifts, use a date-based approach.
- Set up an additional workforce to handle peak shifts and business demands.
- Be aware of your employees’ strengths and weaknesses and plan accordingly.
- Even so, be prepared for last-minute shift changes.
The best way to communicate with employees is to use a reliable medium. Having multiple channels can add to confusion and uncertainty among your employees.
A Shift Rota Planner Is an Investment
On average, shift planning software users spend 10 to 15 hours a week planning shifts with redundant tools. By using a shift roster planner, this can be reduced by 80%. If you need more time, try free shift planning Excel template in the meantime.